This spring season has been such a blessing. All the warm and sunny days mean good bye dreary hashtags (#raincouver #clouds #sadness #gloomy) and hello to nice pretty ones (#springishere #sunnyday #warm #flowers). That's right my Vancouverites and whoever else lives in a country, state or province of perpetual torrential down pour, it's time to put those umbrella emoji's away (for now) and whip out those sun emoji's.
With the warmth and sun shining, I find myself in a state of longing for Summer. Where there is sand between my toes, smoothies constantly in hand and sea salt on my skin. So as the months get warmer I bust out my smoothie for breakfast routine (I can't drink smoothies during winter, I get chilled to the bone and I never warm up!). I love smoothies, they are wonderful, healthy and delicious.
As an actor I need to make sure my mind and body are both healthy and fit, you never know when you're going to turn into a zombie for TV (Speaking of, catch me in the season 2 finale of iZombie, "Salivation Army" at 9pm on The CW #blatantselfpromotion). Since I could be working 16 hour days back to back I need to have my energy, that's why I pack my smoothie with extra vitamins. I tend to forget them as a part of my daily intake so I just throw them in my smoothie and It really gives me the power boost I need.
Since I love smoothies, and I hope you do too I thought I'd share my favourite smoothie combo. Don't hold me to the amounts because let's be real I eye ball everything for measurements.
1. Take (what I'm assuming is) a 16oz blender cup (you know the ones that come with the magic bullet type machines) and fill it with frozen blueberries. I fill it about an inch or two from the top,
2. Then I take a banana, break if up and fill up the remaining space in my cup. If it's small I'll put it all in, if it's big I'll just do half. Sometimes I throw in a leaf or two of kale as well, but if you're going to do this you might want to use less blue berries. There's only so much room in those cups.
***Caffeine Side note: If you need some extra "wake me up" you can add a teaspoon of Match. My personal favourite is David's Tea's Matcha Matsu.***
3. Then I take my chia seeds and use one scoopful (about a tablespoon) along with about a tablespoon of hemp hearts and throw those bad boys in.
4. Now it's time for those extra vitamins and minerals. I take a teaspoon of Lemon flavoured fish oil, then I bust open some calcium and magnesium pills and pour that in.
5. Next I take my Vega One French Vanilla protein powder and use the recommended amount based off of what the container says.
6. Then I take a measuring cup and fill roughly a half a cup of water. I microwave it for 45-50 seconds then I pour that in and blend it all up. This is to help make it easier to blend because my blueberries are like little rocks unless given a little warm loving.
Then you can either pour it into a glass add a little hemp hearts to garnish, add a straw and bam blueberry smoothie heaven.
I hope you love it and will try making it at home. I know having a smoothie, even if I don't plan on working out makes me feel healthy and sometimes that's all you need to make your day start out right.. Let me know if you make it in the comments down below.
Have a blessed week friends.